Compliance Requirements for Merchant Account Applications

As part of your application process for an Ezidebit payment facility, Ezidebit are required to verify the identity of all officers of your company. This can be completed through utilising our electronic ID verification services, or through the provision of certified copies of Identification and Proof of Residential Address.


What needs to be included in the certification?

In order for documents to meet certification requirements, the document must be certified as a true copy of the original by an appropriate person. Each certified document copy must be certified separately, and must clearly show:


The words “certified true copy of the original”, or similar

The date of the certification (must be within the preceding 3 months )

The signature of the certifying officer, and

The name, provider/registration number (if applicable) and profession of the certifying officer, legibly printed below the signature


Who can certify my documents?

Member of the police

Justice of the peace

Registered medical doctor

Kaumātua (as verified through a reputable source)

Registered teacher

Minister of religion

Lawyer (as defined in the Lawyers and Conveyancers Act 2006)

Notary public

New Zealand Honorary Consul

Member of Parliament

Chartered accountant (within the meaning of section 19 of the New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants Act 1996)

A person who has the legal authority to take statutory declarations or the equivalent in New Zealand

Commonwealth representative (as defined in the Oaths and Declarations Act 1957)


Who can’t certify my documents?


Your spouse or partner

Related to you or living at the same address as you

A person involved in the transaction or business requiring this certification. (For example, if you visit your solicitor to set up a trust or register a mortgage you cannot use that same solicitor to certify your ID & proof of address documents. Another solicitor at the firm could be used as your trusted referee)


Proof of Identification

Certified clear and legible copy of one of the following:


Option 1

Valid New Zealand Passport;

Valid Overseas Passport;


Option 2

Valid New Zealand Driver’s Licence, together with one of the following:

A bank statement issued by a registered New Zealand bank

A current item issued by a New Zealand Government agency that contains your name and signature.

Proof of Residential Address

Certified copy of one of the following:


a current New Zealand driver licence that displays your current residential address

a recent document from a New Zealand Electoral Office

a recent utility bill from your power, gas, water, land-line phone, SKY or internet service provider company

a recent New Zealand council rates notice or valuation

a recent document from a New Zealand bank, bank subsidiary, credit union or financial institution that provides lending or deposit related products only

a document from a New Zealand insurance company that contains a unique policy or reference number (this does not include quotes)

a document issued by a New Zealand Government agency

a residential rental agreement

a document from a New Zealand superannuation provider that has a unique customer or reference number

a document from a current NZQA registered education provider

a letter from your current employer


If you are not a New Zealand resident:


a statement from an overseas bank or financial institution showing your overseas residential address

a passport, national identity card, resident identity card, or current overseas driver license issued by an overseas government agency that contains your residential address

a utility bill from your power, gas, water, land-line phone or internet service provider showing your overseas residential address

a rates notice (or overseas equivalent) showing your overseas residential address

a utility bill (as above) or rates notice (or overseas equivalent) addressed to your partner or family member with accompanying documents to connect you to the person named in the utility bill (such as a marriage certificate or birth certificate)